Friday, July 18, 2008

Backyard Camping

Last night we had a backyard campout with 2 of my kids and 5 of the neighbor kids.
We pitched a tent in the backyard and all of the kids hauled their stuff in and made their beds.
I think I might be a little crazy for doing this, my husband sure thinks so, but the kids had allot of fun. We get them all tucked in, drinks of water and bathroom breaks, and I am ready to head off to bed. I go out to check one more time, at 11:00 and three are asleep and five are still awake. At this point the three that are awake want to come in and one is crying for her mom who is in St. George. Coming in was not an option that I would even consider, because it would be way to much work for me. So I decide to pull up a sleeping bag and tell them some stories. Well after a highly entertaining made up story about a castle and a magic waterfall, I decide my brain is too tired and I head into the house to get a book. I guess my story telling skills are not as boring as I thought as the children were still awake. So I read them a book and finally at 12:30 they are all asleep. I Head off to bed and fall blissfully asleep, only to be awakened at 1:30 by a barking dog. Now normally this would not have bothered me, but I headed back outside just to make sure none of the children were being dragged out of the tent by a bad guy. All were safe and sound so I get back in bed, only to be awakened again at 2:30, by what sounded to me like a get away car waiting outside my house to kidnap an unsuspecting child out of a tent. So I head back outside and all is well. Needless to say every hour I woke up imaging tons of different bizare senarios and hearing tons of weird sounds, and then at 6:00 Am Phil bolts out of bed, After his non interrupted night of sleep to exclaim, "hey did you turn off the sprinklers". I say "NO! Did you?" So instead of sleeping for another hour I am running down the stairs expecting to look into the tent and see sopping wet children, only to discover that they are completely dry, imagine that. So this is why I am blogging at 7:00 AM, amd I am going to be exhausted the rest of the day. Needless to say, thier won't be any more backyard campouts anytime soon.
Trying to go to sleep!



The Kids blissfully sleeping this morning after the sprinklers watered their tent.


3 comments:

Denise H. said...

You have got to be the CUTEST mom! Although, I am thinking that you may have slept better had you just slept outside with the kiddos.

I always loved your stories. They are so imaginative and creative. I think Nate takes after you.

tanni said...

Oh I remember sleeping in tents in the backyard! Those were good times! Yeah..next time you shoul sleep out there with them. Its INCOMFORTABLE! But fun at the same time

Kim said...

Oh my....You must be the worlds greatest Mom to pull all that together. Sorry for the lost sleep though, hopefully your day wont be to exhausting. Hopefully one day I can be the fun/cool Mom like you.
Love Ya!!