Thursday, January 15, 2009

OPAY- One project a year

This is kind of like Denise's OPAW-One Project a Week, but mine is One Project a year, and actually this one was started last year and I just finished it this year. So it should really be OPEOY- One Project every other year!
Every year since our kids were born we buy them a Christmas ornament. Sometimes we let them choose and other times we choose, you can tell how much money we had each year by where we bought our ornaments, Hallmark, more money, Walmart, less money!
My kids love to put their ornaments on the tree and get so excited each year when we pull out the Christmas boxes. I am kind of a organizational freak and it would make me crazy each year to figure out who's was who's and which year it was from. so I found these great boxes on clearance last year after Christmas, and I put together these boxes for our ornaments.Each box has enough compartments to hold twenty ornaments, so I have until they are twenty to fill these baby's up!
I put each kids name on the front of the box and in each compartment I put the year and how old each child was and then I wrote why we bought each ornament. Then I covered each label with clear contact paper so it wouldn't rip off.

The kids had alot of fun reading about their different interests each year, and when I was putting them away, because the kids like putting up the ornaments, but no one likes to take them down. I got to take a jaunt down memory lane.
Great project, but you will have to wait till next year to see any other OPAY's from me!



6 comments:

Teryn said...

yay, that is such a good idea.. what a great family tradition and I love the way you organized the ornaments and put little notes on why you picked that particular ornament.. very cute!

Anonymous said...

Look at You Martha!

Suzanne

tanni said...

That's such a great idea! What a neat family tradition

Denise H. said...

OKAY MONICA!!! You have outdone me! I LOVE that idea and where did you find those cute boxes? I should get one for Zoey and Ty (hahahahahahahaha) or at least get one to save for whenever I FINALLY get a kid.

LOVE IT and I am sure that your kids will cherish them forever!

The Burke Family said...

That is such agreat idea! I loved when we lived by each other because you always inspired me to get more organized. To bad that was when I only had one kid and my life seemed so much easier and organized back then...big sigh!LOL Can you just move by me again?

Kim said...

That is a great idea!! I will have to have you show me how to put those together! You are always so creative!!